Workshops -> Picture Perfect Weekend Workshops
Mission Statement for Workshops by Todd & Brad Reed Photography
The workshops are designed to teach people how to “see the world in photographs”. Todd and Brad Reed cover many technical aspects of photography (include shutter speed, F-stops and aperture, ISO, depth of field, etc.) and we teach people how to make better choices with their own cameras. Todd and Brad also spend a lot of time teaching people how to break down a photograph into all of its technical and artistic elements. The workshops will also focus on the art/vision side of photography and to provide you with more choices/building blocks to create great art. Todd and Brad will teach you the 20 artistic elements they use when they are in the field "making" their photographs. The weekend workshops are great for a total beginner with a “point and shoot” camera or a seasoned professional who is looking for a different perspective. All ages and abilities are welcomed.
; We will share all of our secrets on every aspect of our photography business and our secrets on how we shoot. Any film or digital camera is accepted. Just bring your camera manual.
2013 Picture Perfect Weekends
April 26-28, 2013
May 17-19, 2013
May 31-June 2, 2013
September 13-15, 2013
October 11-13, 2013
The weekend workshop, including food and refreshments is $350.
Lodging is not included. You may stay at the Cartier Mansion at their nightly rates, or you may stay elsewhere.
You register and make all reservations with the Cartier Mansion. Please call the Cartier Mansion at 231-843-0101 to reserve your spot today. Each workshop is limited to the first 12 people to sign up. Each workshop has a 6 person minimum. The Cartier Mansion is located at 409 E. Ludington Ave. in Ludington, MI 49431. Check them out at www.cartiermansion.com
Mock schedule for “Picture Perfect Weekend Workshops”
actual schedule dependant on sunrise and sunset times
- Get acquainted dessert at 8:00pm at the Cartier Mansion
Depending on sunset times, dinner could be before or after the evening shoot.
- Workshops will start at the Cartier Mansion at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning. We will do a quick introduction of ourselves and get the entire group to meet each other. We will also eat a quick snack at the Cartier Mansion before we head out at 7:15 a.m. for the Ludington State Park for the morning shoot. Everyone should bring their shooting gear and warm cloths.
- Head back to the Cartier Mansion around 9:15 a.m. Eat a light breakfast around 9:30 a.m. at the Cartier Mansion.
- At 10:00 a.m. we will start the first session in the Cartier Mansion Carriage House. This session will focus on the technical aspects of photography (F-stops, shutter speed, ISO, depth of field, etc.). We will project several of our images and break them down as a large group. We will take a few mental health breaks during this session.
- At 12:30 we will eat lunch at the Cartier Mansion.
- At 1:30 p.m. we will start the second session in the Carriage House. This session focuses on photo composition and the 20 artistic elements that go into making a great photo.
- At 3:30 p.m. we will start the third session in the Cartier Mansion. This will be the group critique of everyone’s prints. We will take breaks during this session as well. We like to spend a lot of time on this session and we all learn a ton from each other.
- We will head back out to the Ludington State Park for the evening shoot. Hopefully the light is good so we can apply the things we learned during the day. We will stay for about and hour after the sun has set.
- We will return and eat dinner at the Cartier Mansion about an hour and fifteen minutes after sunset.
- After dinner everyone is free for the evening.
- At 8:00 a.m. we will all meet at the Cartier Mansion for breakfast.
- At 9:00 a.m. we will start the review session in the Carriage House. As a group we will critique the photos from the previous day’s shooting at the Ludington State Park. We will review what techniques were used in each photo.
- For participants staying at the Cartier Mansion, check out time is around 11 a.m. My dad and I will head to our gallery at that time. Everyone can join us their as soon as they are ready.
- At 11:30 a.m. we will start the closing session at our gallery in downtown Ludington at 114 W. Ludington Avenue. We will discuss printing, digital output, websites, and book production.
- Workshop ends at 1 p.m.
What to Bring to the Picture Perfect Weekend Workshop:
- At least 6 different prints (any size) of their best work for critique. These must be printed out on paper or photo paper. They can be your favorite shots, even if they didn’t turn out. We can help you figure out what went wrong.
- A camera (film or digital) and its INSTRUCTION MANUAL.
- Bring lots of batteries for your own kind of camera. Remember that cool evenings on Lake Michigan can eat up battery life.
- A tripod that works with your own camera would be strongly advised.
- Dress for the elements. It can get pretty cool on Lake Michigan, even during the summer.
- Good hiking shoes for walking in the sand and on the waters edge are recommended for people who get cold feet. Waterproof boots are recommended.
- A good hat that you can put in your pocket and take out in case you need to protect yourself from the winds coming off of Lake Michigan.
- We also recommend bringing gloves that are easy to take on and off while you are taking pictures.
- You never know what the weather will be like on the shores of Lake Michigan. Hopefully it will be warm and beautiful, but if not, it is worth it to be prepared. We shoot in almost any weather and the best shots usually come during storms!
Click here for a printable PDF of this page
"Picture Perfect Weekend Workshops" - "Advanced Weekend Workshops"